Thursday, August 4, 2011

Secret State Password

Yesterday I went to a workshop in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, on "What Does A Balance Literacy Classroom  Look Like?" The presenter was Adria Klein from California......great speaker ......btw....

She had lots of great ideas.....the one that I want to start the year with is a classroom management technique.

In order to get her students attention she says a name of a state and they repeat the capital.   Now keep in mind she teaches 5th grade.

I teach kindergarten......but I think I can still do this idea.  Here's my plan:
Each morning as part of The Calendar the Star Student will pick the Secret State of the day from the jar.
Then we will put the state on the puzzle with velcro.
As part of The Calendar I will read some facts from the cards:
Then throughout the day when I want the children to pay attention I will say the name of the state and the children will repeat the capital.

My hope is when my students go home each day and their parents ask them about their day..... and they will say the secret state is Wisconsin and the capital is Madison.  

PS   Here are two views of what my classroom looks like today.....YIKES!!!!




1 comment:

  1. I love love love that idea! I'm definitely going to have to give that a try, what a great way to practice. And your room is coming along, you have a lot of wood in yours too. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...